A crown is the strongest restoration available and may be used to cover a tooth and restore it to its normal shape and size. A crown can make your tooth stronger and improve it’s appearance.
A crown is often recommended for one of the following reasons:
Crowns can be made from a variety of materials. Many people would prefer porcelain for superior aesthetics, as porcelain crowns will match the shade of the existing teeth. Alternatively, they may be made from porcelain fused to metal for aesthetics and strength, or even gold for maximal durability. Which type of crown is appropriate depends on the patient.
- To support a large filling where there is very little tooth left. Teeth left in this state are weak and often prone to fracture and breaks.
- As a part of an attachment of a bridge.
- To protect a weak tooth from breaking or restore one that is already broken.
- To replace a tooth destroyed by decay.
- A crown is a good way to cover teeth that are discoloured or badly shaped.
- Crowns can also be used to cover dental implants.
We always have your care in mind. At Ocean Dental we have an onsite Cerec milling unit. We can design, mill and furnace your crown on the day and fit it on the day for your convience. We understand that your concerns are to keep your teeth healthy and your smile happy. Talk to us about which type of crown may be appropriate for you and we will advise the best approach for your individual needs.